How do I close my water account if I am moving?

Contact the water department for a final meter reading and final water bill. Be sure to have your forwarding address ready so your final bill will reach you. 

If you have a title company involved in the sale of your home, they will typically hold funds to cover charges for water and sanitary sewer in case you don't pay the final bills. If you don't have a title company and you fail to pay the final bill, the cost plus additional penalties can be certified to the property tax bill no matter who owns the property. 

It is only necessary to shut off service if the buyer has not signed up for new service. Typically, the account should roll over into the buyers' name. Therefore, the final reading should be scheduled as close to the transfer of the property as possible. 

Since the readings are collected remotely, we can take the final reading any time without an appointment to get inside the home. 

Show All Answers

1. What if I can't pay my water bill?
2. Why is my water bill so high?
3. How can I tell how much water I used on my bill?
4. Does the change to monthly water bills or rates affect my sanitary sewer bill?
5. How do I close my water account if I am moving?